Relationship Counselling: Divorce Counselling
Breaking up is a hard thing to do. When you consider of getting divorced with your partner, you find everything gets into a messy affair. There is a loss of everything in your life including the good old days, they turn into memories. When you are in the middle of a divorce you face a lot of mental changes in you, one of them may be loneliness itself. Nobody can understand what your mental state at that time.
Marriages are sometimes hard to handle as there are some rough patches somewhere. On account of these rough patches there are lot of interpersonal conflicts between the couple. For some people consider that sexual fidelity as the cause of every divorce that takes place, but this is not the case every time we have noted. The main cause is communication problems between the couple because of which relationship fails or is at the verge of collapse.
Although the divorce rate is low in India, less than 1 % but still it is important to know the reasons why people get divorce.
Reasons for divorce
Factor that contribute to divorce are wider in number. Researchers are working on this for past many years. Some of them may include marriage at young age, premarital pregnancy, low income, live in relationships, feeling of insecurity in any one of the partners and coming from a family in which both the parents are separate or are divorced. Some of the reasons are:
- Communication Problems: The core of a relationship is communication. Researchers say that all the problems in a relationship are deep rooted in communication. When the communication between the couple is good, then you may be able to resolve all the conflicts with your spouse. When you are not able to communicate your wish and problems in a proper way with your partner, all you have is conflict and resentment with your spouse. It becomes like a slippery slope where divorce is waiting for you at the end.
- Not in love anymore: When there is no love left between the couple, you no more care for each other. This may become a reason for separation of the two. It is not a big one but losing a feeling of love and romance in relationship can also lead to divorce sometimes. This feeling can come overtime in a marital relationship when love and passion is lost.
- No intimacy: With the feeling of love between both of you, you sex life also get diminished. You are no more physically attracted with each other, you sex life is hell and there are no more long hugs as they were used to be earlier. And finally you are not able to handle that, you go for a divorce with your partner.
- Lack of partnership: People go to the psychologist and claim that they feel unheard and misunderstood in their relationship and it feel like they are still alone. There is also a feeling of loneliness in them. With a life full of excitement and enthusiasm, they feel that it is not working well or maybe there are some issues in their interpersonal relations on account of no common goals. There is a feeling of emptiness everywhere. And because of this they get disconnected with each other. The evidence by Researchers indicate that the feeling of loneliness and depression can also be a reason for divorce.
- You were not ready for the marriage: One of the reasons for divorce may be that you are in your early years and adjustment for you might be difficult. You may not be able to know what you inner self may be or what may be important to you. When you are not ready for marriage there is a lack trust between both of you which may make you go for a divorce.
- Addiction: When there is addiction of any sort in one or both of the partners, then also it is possible that the couple can get divorce. When a person is addicted to alcohol, drugs or any other sort then they may be a threat to the other person’s safety. This may become a reason for their divorce.
- There may be domestic abuse: People often put forth that they are getting divorce as their relationship is an abusive one on account of both violent and bad non-violent behaviour. That abuse may be physical or emotional. It is fact that Physical abuse will often also lead to emotional abuse most of the time. And when this happens, the person feels victim and powerless.
- Cheating: Trust is the basis of all the relationships. When one of the spouses is having an affair, it breaks the trust of the other person. The person feel betrayed and has lost all hopes from the relation.
- A lack of emotional support: Communication is the heart of marriage. When communication gets disconnected, the other person start to feel ignored and disrespectful in a relationship. They often start thinking that they are no more a priority in their relationship and go for a separation, which need professional consultation.
Relationship counsellors or therapists are best person to help you solve your relationship issues if you are going through a bad phase of your relationship and want to get all settled. Divorce is preventable if you take right professional help at right time.
Take best Relationship Counselling from Dr R.K Suri, chartered clinical psychologist with more than 36 years of experience. He is leading relationship psychologist and sexologist. Consult at TalktoAngel for online counselling at leading online platform for NRI and PIO.